Making your own toothpaste is not only something to do that’s fun; it’s a good exercise in seeing how you can influence the health of your teeth. It can also come in handy in the probability that a major disaster occurs and you are unable to get any store-bought toothpaste.
When you make your own toothpaste, you will use natural ingredients that are safe to consume. Commercial toothpaste contains propylene glycol (antifreeze), which is toxic. Sodium lauryl sulfate is another toxin that accumulates in your body. Titanium dioxide is used for whitening and frankly, not necessary.
Natural Toothpaste Recipes To Make Today
1. Basic Recipe for Homemade Toothpaste
Remember not to store toothpaste in the bathroom. Every time you flush the toilet, millions of germs will be released into the bathroom air and land in your toothpaste.
- Coconut oil, ½ cup (Coconut oil has antibacterial and antifungal properties.)
- Baking soda, 1 cup (absorbs smells)
- Xylitol, 1/3 cup
- Peppermint extract, alcohol-free, one tablespoon
Mix all ingredients in a bowl for about 45 seconds.
Scoop it out into glass jars such as a baby food jars or a plastic container such as a clean yogurt container.
2. Homemade Toothpaste with Herbs
You can add more ingredients if you have gum problems or tooth cavities or need a root canal right now. With gum problems, your gums are missing essential nutrients. When the gums get it, they will regenerate. The cloves help kill pain in the teeth.
- Coconut oil, ½ cup
- Diatomaceous earth, edible USDA Food grade only, 2 tablespoons (This is an abrasive which cleans the bacteria off your teeth.)
- Stevia herb powder, 1 teaspoon (this has anti-cavity actions.)
- Orange extract or orange essential oil (from Young Living Company) (edible only)
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves, or clove oil, 2 drops
3. Sage/Orange Peel Swiss Toothpaste
- Sea salt – 1 teaspoon
- Baking soda - 2 teaspoons
- Powdered orange peel – 1 tablespoon - whitens the teeth
- Sage herb, powdered, about 2 teaspoons
- 2 drops essential oil of lemon
- 2 drops essential oil of peppermint
Mix all powdered ingredients together in a small bowl.
Then add the essential oils. Mix again.
You now have a tooth powder. Store in a glass jar. When wetted on your toothpaste, you have toothpaste. This recipe is an Old Swiss remedy. You can watch it being made at https://youtu.be/jAkkq_1L_NU
Note: To make it into more of a toothpaste, add coconut oil and mix.
Three other ingredients you could use to make your own toothpaste:
• Bentonite clay – This substance has a negative charge and attracts bacteria, chemicals, and toxic compounds. Adding 2 tablespoons bentonite to 1 teaspoon baking soda is a good start for your toothpaste recipe.
• Charcoal – This is vegetable charcoal, not the briquettes at the store for the grill. You can purchase it at health food stores. Although it’s black, it won’t stain your teeth. Charcoal is like a sponge and absorbs bacteria when it’s in toothpaste.
• Wintergreen essential oil, 4 drops to 6 drops or more per recipe (Wintergreen essential oil is great for regenerating teeth.)
One little warning: when you’re adding different ingredients, don’t use glycerin – it prevents remineralization of the teeth.