The ingredients that you put directly onto the surface of your body have a dramatic impact on your overall skin health and appearance. Just like our body is able to absorb nutrients or inflammation-causing properties from the foods that we eat, so is our skin. Directly through its own pores, skin receives vitamins and minerals which make up the layers of our largest organ.
Many store-bought skin products contain toxins. Fortunately, It's easy to make your own DIY skincare products, which contain pure, natural ingredients that will work wonders for your skin.
What kind of ingredients do you want to include in homemade beauty products?
Antioxidants combat free radical damage, which does a lot of damage to our skin as we age. In fact, inflammation and free radicals are what age us, contributing to a dull complexion, dryness, rashes, redness, wrinkles, and more. Antioxidants have the ability to stop free-radicals, and that’s why they keep us looking younger and healthier. Antioxidants are found in fruits and vegetables and also herbs, organic tea, honey, and sea salts. You want to use good-quality organic ingredients on your skin whenever possible, to avoid extra chemicals, preservatives, colors, and fragrances which can irritate skin.
Antimicrobial ingredients have antifungal and natural antibiotic properties that all boost immunity and keep skin protected. Honey, coconut products, certain essential oils, and lemon juice are great options.
3. Essential fatty-acids
Fatty acids, which are healthy for skin, can be found in foods including coconut and coconut oil, avocado, and other healthy oils like flaxseed oil. It’s also beneficial to eat other sources of healthy fats including salmon, mackerel, sardines, anchovies, flaxseeds, chia seeds, sesame seeds, and hemp seeds, almonds, cashews, walnuts, and others.
The good news is that you’ve likely already got the needed ingredients in your kitchen cabinets!
5 Simple Homemade Natural Skin Recipes to Try:
1. Basic Healing 5-Ingredient Body Scrub
Use this easy recipe to create a basic sugar scrub in your favorite scent. Get zesty with some lemon, or sooth your skin with relaxing lavender.
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 15-20 drops of your favorite essential oil
1. Mix the ingredients together.
2. Rub mixture on your body and then rinse.
2. Banana Vanilla Body Exfoliator
- 1 ripe banana
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- ¼ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1. Smash ingredients together with a fork. Don't over-mash or it will become too thin.
2. Pat the sugar mixture onto your body and gently massage it into your skin.
3. For your face, gently massage plain banana there, avoiding the eye area.
4. Rinse off with warm water.
3. Rosemary, Lemon, Sea Salt Face Wash
- 1 cup kosher salt
- 1/2 cup of pure organic almond oil
- the zest of one lemon
- 2 teaspoons of fresh rosemary leaves
1. Pour the salt into a clean, sterilized container with a tight-fitting lid.
2. Add the lemon zest and rosemary.
3. Pour the almond oil over top and screw the lid on tightly.
4. Before using, give the jar a stir to mix the oil and salt together and then cleanse away, rubbing into skin and rinsing with warm water
4. Skin Protecting Tomato Facial Mask
- One ripe, organic tomato
- Cutting knife
- 1 tablespoon of fine granulated sugar
1. Cut off the top of the tomato and cover it with the sugar.
2. Use the sugar-coated tomato top to exfoliate your face, especially your nose and forehead.
3. Wait 10 minutes and then rinse off the scrub.
4. Add the left-over tomato to your next meal!
5. Inflammation Reducing Lavender Coconut Facial Cream
• 2 tablespoons of organic coconut oil
• 2 drops of lavender essential oil
• 1 teaspoon of warm raw or pure honey
1. Use an exfoliator
2. Mix the ingredients together and massage into your face