In the olden days, detoxification baths were the norm. People would flock to hot springs, spas and retreats in order to lather on hot mud or clay, sit in mineral baths, or pamper themselves with hot baths. In today’s stressful world, we take quick showers, eat convenience foods and run ourselves ragged. And our health suffers for it.
However, this doesn’t mean you should give up the idea of some quick DIY pampering options. In fact, these types of options can do a body just as much good as a full day of pampering at the spa! (Although if you get a chance to do a full day spa, go for it!)
One of the best ways to pamper yourself is through a detox foot soak. Not only are the feet some of the most used and abused parts of the body, the health of your feet can impact your overall emotional and physical well-being. Luckily, a DIY foot bath is relatively simple to do and doesn’t require special equipment.
What you will need!
- A foot tub. You don’t need a fancy one that plugs in to keep the water warm and massages your feet, although these are nice. Most of my foot soaks take place in a very basic large plastic container.
- Hot water. You don’t want to burn yourself, but you do want to get the water as hot as you can safely stand it. This is because hot water helps to draw out toxins from the skin and helps soften the skin.
- Your detox mixture. Choose among any of the following, but don’t mix the different baths as they may not react well together.
- 1/3 cup Epsom salts
- 1/3 cup baking soda
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup sea salt and ¼ cup baking soda
- 2 green tea bags
- 2 cups of hydrogen peroxide plus 1 tbsp dried ginger
- You can add a drop or two of essential oils such as peppermint, ylang-ylang, lavender, or tea tree oil if desired.
How to give yourself a foot bath:
- Fill your foot bath with hot water
- Set it on a towel on the floor in a spot where you can rest comfortably and relax
- Soak for 30 to 40 minutes
- When complete, you can use a callous remover on the bottom of the feet to remove the dead skin and leave your feet looking great!
- Massage lotion onto your feet and let soak into your skin.
- Enjoy how much better you feel and how much better your feet look!
Bonus Tip: Before starting your bath, you can make a paste with bentonite clay and water. Rub this all over your feet and allow this paste to dry before soaking your feet. This pre-treatment helps to absorb and remove toxins, heavy metals and impurities in the skin.
Detox foot baths are often dehydrating to the body, so don’t forget to keep a nice cool glass of water with sliced lemons for you to drink.